The Franklin Furniture Institute (formerly the Institute for Furniture Manufacturing and Management) is a multi-disciplinary effort involving Mississippi State’s colleges of Business, Forest Resources, Engineering, and Architecture. The institute builds on a long history of wood-product research, technical assistance and continuing education the university has provided to the state and region. Through research that aids in the design, production, marketing, and distribution of high quality products that meet the changing needs of families and businesses here and abroad, faculty and staff offer technical support to deliver new technologies, methods, and findings to industry, help to ensure a high quality workforce, and educate future managers and leaders for the industry.
To help sustain and increase the competitiveness of the furniture and related industries in Mississippi and beyond.
To be a nationally recognized center of knowledge and outreach to the furniture and home furnishings industry.
- Become a national resource center for furniture-related issues
- Enhance sustainable design in furniture and home furnishings
- Expand furniture-related curricula to appeal to students interested in pursuing advanced degrees
- Expand logistics and supply chain knowledge
- Provide testing capabilities in components, frame, fabric, flammability and packaging
- Educate and train workers, supervisors and management to improve skills and efficiencies
- Improve technical knowledge and skills through a comprehensive, modern manufacturing training program
- Partner with state and federal resources to provide export resource services to increase international trade opportunities for the industry